Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Lingo is the new Wheel Of Fortune!!!


Lucas has discovered a new love in his life............ a totally annoying game show called Lingo. He first watched at my mom's house- because she is obsessed with the Game Show Network :) Lucas now has a favorite new show.
You know most 4 year old boys really like T.M. Ninja Turtles, Power Rangers, Diego, no.......... my son likes shows with numbers AND letters- which is why Lingo and the good old standby Wheel of Fortune are his faves. Every night after bath time he watches them back to back and just squeals with delight- nothing makes that boy happier than these two shows right now. It is pretty funny- I say "Want to watch Lingo? And he immediately runs to the couch and spells it out then says Lingo, Lingo- as everything has to be said twice these days :)
He is starting to experience what a lot of autistic children do called echolalia- it is when the child repeats things verbatim of how they heard it- in example- I will say "Do you want grilled cheese or french toast"? He will say "Grilled cheese French toast" URG!!!!! How frustrating is that- he will NOT pick a choice anymore- even with all my handy props, pictures, etc.- he just looks at them and reads them all to me. I finally picked french toast tonight after he looked at the pictures for literally 10 minutes and then said all the options back to me for about the 100th time! Did I mention this is frustrating!?!?!?!? Then I only had one egg left and I cracked it and dropped the @#$% thing down the drain- oh well- I made a grilled cheese and he ate it all.
I have learned about a new support group on Yahoo for parents of children with hyperlexia- the gift of early reading without it being taught- and they all say that their kiddos did the same with speech- I hear that it is great that they repeat things as it is a step in learning how to talk. Hopefully this will lead to some real communication........
I think we will end up in the dr.'s office in the morning- he has had a croupy cough for about 4 days and it is not getting much better- he is near the I am gonna puke stage every time he coughs now- FUN times! I will keep yall posted.

1 comment:

Jamie Kay said...

I swear Lucas is a genius!!! He is going to do something amazing in his life-time that will stun the world!